Newsfeed via: Water CanadaRSS Water CanadaEmail
HOUSE - Skyscraper - Brownie Noms - 9/20/17 - 10/13/17
HOUSE - Skyscraper - Water

The Resiliency Game

Posted on November 27, 2013
Written by Kerry Freek
Hot on the heels of the country’s severe summer floods, Water Canada, along with co-hosts XCG Consultants and RWDI Inc., brought together a group of practitioners at the Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto to discuss and provide some insight on how to address infrastructure resiliency in the face of a changing climate. David Stonehouse leads a tour through the Holcim Gallery at Evergreen Brick Works. Credit: Neil Ta. After a tour of the grounds with general manager David Stonehouse—Evergreen Brick Works was built in a floodplain, but with great care [...]

Look Before You Leak

Posted on January 2, 2013
As the infrastructure deficit exceeds capital and operational budgets, the leaders in charge of Canada’s municipal water and wastewater assets and operations are being asked to do more with less. User rates are not high enough to reflect the true cost of water infrastructure and operations and government funding alone—at all levels—can’t meet demand. How can these leaders cope with expanding capacity to accommodate growth while replacing and repairing failing systems on a dime? In November, Water Canada and AECOM gathered a mix of municipal, academic [...]

The State of Our Water Assets

Posted on November 16, 2012
Municipal and industry associations make frequent calls for government funding to replace leaky old drinking water systems, or to upgrade systems to meet incoming regulations, such as the new national wastewater standards. But do they have proof of a nation-wide crisis? This past September, an infrastructure report card revealed the results of a lengthy study on some of Canada’s most important infrastructure systems, 75 per cent of them water-related (the other 25 per cent looked at the state of roads). Produced with support from the Canadian Construction [...]

The Big Leap

Posted on March 12, 2012
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Ontario’s Ministry of Environment (MOE) developed the York Durham Sewage System (YDSS) to convey sewage from York Region through a single pipe to what was then a state-of-the-art treatment facility on the shores of Lake Ontario. The purpose was to take several smaller sewage treatment plants offline and provide secondary treatment at a central facility. In the early 2000s, the Province asked York Region to grow. Now, the Region must meet the increased water and sewage servicing demands associated with that growth. The [...]

Finding Balance

Posted on April 10, 2011
When it comes to the Great Lakes, it’s all about balance. A recent United States Geological Survey five-year report on Great Lakes Basin water availability says that jurisdictions must find balance between storage of surface water and groundwater in the system, flows of water through the system, and existing, sometimes competing, human and ecological uses of water. But it’s hard to make those decisions without sufficient data. In February, Water Canada and Borden Ladner Gervais LLP gathered a group of experts to discuss some of the challenges surrounding [...]
Advertisement
AD - Big Box - WorldWaterTech - 091217 - ??

In This Issue

September/October 2017

September/October 2017

Powered by Wordpress